Imodium capsules contain a medicine called loperamide hydrochloride. It belongs to a group of medicines which helps reduce diarrhoea by slowing down an overactive bowel.
Imodium capsules are used to treat:
- Sudden short-lived (acute) attacks of diarrhoea in adults and children over 8 years of age
- Long-lasting (chronic) diarrhoea in adults
It also helps the body to absorb more water and salts from the bowel.
Imodium® Original Capsules contain loperamide hydrochloride. For acute diarrhoea (aged 12+) and for medically diagnosed IBS diarrhoea (aged 18+). Always read the label.
How to use
Adults and children over 12 years of age:
Take 2 capsules initially, followed if required, by 1 capsule after every further loose bowel movement, up to a maximum of 6 capsules per day.
- If your diarrhoea lasts for more than 24 hours, consult your doctor.
Diarrhoea associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS):
- If your doctor has diagnosed you with IBS, take 2 capsules to control an episode of diarrhoea.
- Further episodes may be controlled by taking 1 or 2 capsules according to severity, up to a maximum of 6 capsules per day.
- If your symptoms change or your acute symptoms persist for more than 2 weeks, consult your doctor.
Hazards and Cautions
Do not use Imodium capsules if:
- You are allergic to anything in Imodium capsules.
- You have severe diarrhoea after taking antibiotics
- You are having a flare up of ulcerative colitis
- You are constipated or your stomach appears swollen (particularly in children with severe dehydration)
- Your child is less than 12 years old
Check with your doctor before using Imodium capsules if:
- You have acute dysentery, the symptoms of which may include blood in your stools and a high temperature. You will also need to be given other medicines to treat this
- You suffer from liver problems
- You have AIDS and your stomach becomes swollen. Stop taking the capsules immediately and contact your doctor
- Take special care with Imodium capsules
2 mg of loperamide hydrochloride, lactose, maize starch, talc and magnesium stearate. The capsule itself is made up of titanium dioxide (E171), iron oxides (E172), indigo carmine (E132), erythrosine (E127) and gelatin.